turbotax customer service
Hiring an Accountant to Do Your Taxes Vs Using Turbo Tax
Any important work includes the issue of whether or not individuals can do it themselves or employ a specialist. Although the ever improving range of tax preparation software certainly makes it easier to tax your own, it has hardly placed Certified Public Accountants (CPAs) and other professional tax preparers out of business. A lot of people have found savings in money by paying their own taxes. Others also swear by their CPA. Through answering the questions below, you can learn more about benefits of using a CPA for tax purposes compared to using a tax reporting software system such as Turbo Tax.
Filing the tax online with TurboTax
TurboTax is one of the common ways for people to pay their own taxes and file them online. It will ask you questions one you complete your tax return. The program does not leave you completely on its own, its algorithm is programmed to detect your deductions eligibility. It will recommend deductions for you on the basis of your business and other details that you have. You should also bear in mind that you are responsible for any representations that you make by TurboTax.
Advantages of TurboTax
Some of the benefits of using TurboTax software include:
- Simple to use, since you answer the questions and the algorithm handles them.
- Lower costs, there is no way around the fact you’re paying less for a software package than hiring a CPA or other trained tax professional.
- Quicker turnaround time, once you have all the necessary documentation in front of you, you can complete your own taxes in less than an hour.
Disadvantages of TurboTax
There are also some disadvantages with the use of TurboTax to file your taxes, including the following:
- Potentially incorrect deduction recommendations, as the software depends automatically on your input and processing.
- Difficulties dealing with dynamic circumstances such as small companies, savings and other tax problems.
- Failure to provide suggestions for planning which may be essential for people who want to control their wealth.
- Confusion when it comes to tax returns and necessary documentation.
Using an accountant for your taxes
A certified public accountant is an Accountant who has undergone stringent examinations in various accounting procedures to become licensed by their state of residence. CPAs and other tax experts are usually more familiar with the tax laws than ordinary folks like you and me. For certain situations, when you have more complex problems, or need to know how to manage changes in your life, you will get the maximum gain from consulting with an accountant. Some reasons for finding an accountant include:
- Retiring or starting a business partnership.
- Establishment of a new small business.
- Properties owned and rented to tenants.
- Beginning the process of estate planning.
- Dealing with an alternative minimum tax or AMT tax.
- Earnings outside the United States.
- Handling stock options or limited shares.
Advantages of using an Accountant
Some of the benefits of hiring a tax preparedness accountant include:
- Human touch: Tax professionals are often able to make valuable tax savings suggestions that the software program simply cannot anticipate.
- Addressing complex tax situations or past IRS conflicts.
- The skills and knowledge learned from years of experience.
- Advising on planning your future taxes.
Disadvantages of using an Accountant
However, having an Accountant does have certain drawbacks. They include the following:
- More expensive than using online applications.
- Have to make meetings in person to manage the accounting.
- Take longer to file a full tax return, as you need to make an appointment.
- Risk of human error.