Vorrei, the specialist online food retailer, has introduced a new Italian cheese selection to complement its growing range of carefully selected food and wine. Sourced from small family-run farms and dairies, the artisan cheeses do not contain any additives or preservatives and many are made with unpasteurised milk from free-grazing mountain cows, sheep and goats.
Vorrei’s Parmigiano Reggiano has been aged for 36 months. The mouth-watering cheese is produced in the picturesque Apennine Mountain region of Emilia Romagna near Parma. It’s perfect on it’s own, with a drizzle of authentic, aged Balsamic Vinegar from Modena and a glass of Vorrei’s organic Chianti.
Vorrei is also stocking the world’s first aged vegetarian Parmesan made using vegetable rennet (from thistles) and containing no lactose or preservatives. The cheese is the perfect addition to the company’s new summer picnic hamper.
Most of the cheeses in the Vorrei range carry Italy’s highest food accreditation, DOP – Denominazione di Origine Protetta and as with all of Vorrei’s products, they are not industrially produced in large quantities.
As well as the familiar, Vorrei sells more unusual Italian cheeses including Castelmagno, a semi-fat blue variety from the Piemonte region in the north of the country, and a goat’s milk cheese from the Veneto covered in rose petals which confer their scent to the cheese.
Founded by husband and wife team Luca and Nicola Pagliaro, Vorrei aims to select only the best foods from Italy’s artisan producers to ensure memorable flavours and textures that are true to their regional heritage.
“We are always on the lookout for natural, healthy, tasty products, ethically produced by small farms which respect both animals and the environment. We know almost all of our producers personally and share their passion for simple, delicious Italian food” said Luca.
Visit www.vorrei.co.uk to see the whole range and place your order. Immerse yourself in the culture of Italian cuisine by bringing great-tasting, authentic Italian food to your home. Next day delivery is available across the UK. (weekdays only). Postage is not included.
All cheeses in the Vorrei range:
• Parmigiano Reggiano DOP Aged 36 months. Produced in the Apennine mountains near Parma (Emilia Romagna region) at 1000m. One of the best Parmesan cheese producers in Italy. For the best taste Parmesan should be matured for at least 36 months.
• Asiago DOP Stravecchio (Extra Mature). This is a popular Venetian cheese, full-flavored, mild, milky, sharp. Matured for at least a year.
• Gorgonzola DOP Piccante Gran Riserva. This is a strong, sharp, aged (120 days) blue cheese made with full fat, pasteurised, cow’s milk, made in Piedmonte by a small dairy.
• Gorgonzola Dolce DOP A creamy, white, mild and tasty cheese – sweeter and softer than normal Gorgonzola (above), also from a small dairy in Piedmonte.
• Pecorino Borgo Antico DOP – a typical and very famous cheese from the Rome region (Lazio) made from 100% unpasteurised sheep’s milk and matured in ancient cellars. Pecorino Romano is one of most widely used, sharper alternatives to Parmesan cheeses. Because of the hard texture and sharp & salty flavour, Pecorino Romano is an excellent grating cheese over pasta dishes
• Castelmagno DOP Semi-hard, semi-fat blue cheese prepared within the administrative region of the communes of Castelmagno, Pradleves and Monterosso Grana in the province of Cuneo, Piedmont.The cylindrical cheese is made from raw cow’s milk. To guarantee the authenticity of the product, it is essential that the milk utilized come from communes protected by PDO designation. The aging takes two to five months to get the characteristic traditional flavour.
• La Toma Valserai DOP – Toma is one of the most famous Italian cheeses. Its name is derived from the process of cheese making. ‘Toma’ actually means ‘cheese made by the farmer himself’! It is produced primarily in Piemonte region of Northern Italy. This soft or semi-hard cheese is made from Italian cow’s milk
• Robiola DOP – made from pure goats’ milk in Piedmonte, matured in caves for 2 months this cheese has a lovely milky taste.
• Organic Stracchino DOP. This is a cow’s milk cheese, soft and tasty from the Lazio region, very different to the normal, runnier Strachino which you find in the supermarket.
• Aged Vegetarian Parmesan – made with vegetable rennet, no lactose and no preservatives. Halal. Made in Cuneo, Piedmonte in a farm dating back to 1700.
• Organic Drunken Goat’s Cheese in Glera – matured for 7 months in Glera marc (must from grapes used to make Prosecco), this goat’s milk cheese is infused with the flavour and aroma of the grapes.
• Goat’s Cheese in Rose Petals DOP – Matured in rose petals which confer their scent to the cheese this is a perfect ‘entertaining’ cheese which tastes as good as it looks!
For press enquiries and further information please contact:
Vicky Huxford, PR Manager
Tel: +44 (0)7739 675164