Press Release: October 18, 2019
The US Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC) has amended 16 CFR 1130 - Requirements for Consumer Registration of Durable Infant or Toddler Products.
Published on September 24, 2019, the final rule amending 16 CFR 1130 makes the following changes:
• Definition of ‘durable infant or toddler product’ is updated to state the full statutory definition as defined in CPSIA 104(f) and states that a further definition of the listed product categories can be found in the applicable mandatory standards
• Adds hand-held infant carriers, soft infant and toddler carriers, sling carriers and frame child carriers as a subtype of infant carrier
• Adds bedside sleepers as a subset of bassinets and cradles
• Replaces ‘changing tables’ with ‘baby changing products’, making it consistent with the mandatory standard and thus including contoured changing pads within the scope
16 CFR 1130 makes it a statutory requirement for manufacturers and importers of durable infant and toddler products to establish a program for consumer registration. This will allow them to receive notifications in the event of a recall or safety alert.
The final rule becomes effective on:
• For product categories already covered by the rule – October 24, 2019.
• For contoured changing pads – September 24, 2020.
Stakeholders are advised to now ensure they conform to all US regulations regarding juvenile and childcare products.
SGS Toy & Juvenile Product Services
SGS offers a wide range of services to ensure that products comply with relevant standards for childcare articles and children’s equipment. They provide consulting, training, product development, testing, audit and inspection services to ensure that products comply with strict regulations worldwide, demonstrating the safety and quality of juvenile products being brought to the market. Learn more about SGS’s Toy & Juvenile Product Services. [www.sgs.com/en/consumer-goods-retail/toys-and-juvenile-products
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full US CPSC Amends Requirements for Consumer Registration of Durable Infant or Toddler Products SafeGuardS. [www.sgs.com/en/news/2019/10/safeguards-13919-us-requirements-for-consumer-registration-of-durable-infant-or-toddler-products]
Subscribe here, www.sgs.com/subscribesg, to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Technical Director (Hardlines)
Tel: +1 (973) 461 7953
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 97,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.
For more information, please contact:
Visit the newsroom of: Ben Christie