Press Release: April 14, 2010
Do you have your latest travel insurance cover to hand? Or maybe you've kept an old one? Examine it and see if you can find the emergency number that you or your family ought to call if you're taken sick or have an accident on holiday. It is possibly in fairly large print close to the end of the second page. If you are lucky, you won't ever need to call this number but ever wondered what happens if you do?
When you call that number, a person answers in the name of your travel insurance company so it is obvious to assume that you are dealing with one of their team. But you are not. The individual you are talking with works for an international healthcare support organization employed by your insurance providers to act on their behalf. These support companies have agreements with hundreds of travel insurers and the clients of every one phone the medical support company using a different telephone number. The assistance coordinator answers in the name of your particular travel insurance company because the little light on the phone has revealed which company name she ought to greet you with:
Good afternoon, Anycompany Direct. Jane speaking. How can I assist?
Why does the insurance organization use another type of company altogether to handle its healthcare situations overseas? Just because a travel insurance company employs legal professionals as well as underwriters, whilst a global healthcare assistance organization employs medical doctors, linguists and also probably its own local travel agent. Are you curious about the reason why a doctor in the uk needs to be consulted regarding your health claim overseas? Read on.
If you are hospitalised or perhaps receive emergency hospital treatment overseas the hospital treating you may typically request your travel insurance paperwork once you've received initial medical treatment. It's at this point that you or a relative ought to call the emergency telephone number so the healthcare assistance business and insurance provider know that there are going to be a claim. You may well be asked to fax a copy of the protection plan to the medical support company as this is the fastest method for them to verify that the protection plan exists. The healthcare assistance organization works 24/7 but the insurance broker doesn't, so the support coordinator can't call the insurer organization to check that you're protected when it is 2 am in the uk.
In the matter of an accident, the procedure is usually clear-cut: when the assistance company have confirmed the insurance protection and one of the doctors has, along with your agreement, observed the healthcare record, the coordinator will fax a guarantee of payment for the treating medical center or even doctor. The assistance organizations role doesn't end here, however, for you might not be fit in order to travel home on your planned date plus your condition may require specific travel preparations, for example extra seats on the plane to accommodate a broken leg, terminal wheelchair support or even a stretcher repatriation.You may need a healthcare or non-medical companion.
A air ambulance is only used in probably the most severe cases. How and when you will be taken home is a determination which the healthcare assistance companys doctor can make in assessment with the treating doctor abroad. This is when the organizations linguists come in, because they be working as interpreters for your medical doctors. All plans for your repatriation is going to be made by the assistance business, which will keep the insurer company informed at every phase.
A particular note here for the snowboarders: it sounds obvious, but do ensure you possess a policy with snowboarding cover and don't risk snowboarding off-piste or in risky conditions, for this you could end up a no cover situation.
If you are taken sick overseas, you or perhaps your nearest relative will probably be requested to sign a medical consent form that the medical support organization will fax to the treating medical center. Thus giving the medical assistance companys doctor authorization to evaluate your previous health background. Why is this required? Well, in case you experienced a heart attack 3 weeks back, were requested to rest yet were living it up on Ibiza when your heart conked out yet again it would be somewhat much to expect the travel insurance company to pay for thousands of pounds for the treatment together with repatriation, wouldnt it? There are, additionally, people who quite deliberately set out to defraud the travel insurance company. Perhaps Mr Swindler is awaiting a medical procedure in britain when they all of a sudden gets the bright idea that, if they pretends that the situation simply started in the middle of his vacation in Florida, they could easily get faster and much better treatment there. Forget it, Mr Swindler, for the medical assistance company have rumbled you and pretty soon your travel insurance company will send somebody out to the united states to have one or two words to you!
Bear in mind, too, that the medical assistance company exists to assist you. It's doctors want to get you home as soon as possible, although solely when it is safe to move you. And your travel insurance cover concludes when you are back on the soil of one's homeland.
Listed below are our travel insurance tips and hints:
1. You would be surprised if you knew how many people do not bother to get travel insurance at all, particularly for short vacations. So, at the risk of sounding much like your fussiest auntie, tip number 1 is obtain a insurance plan!
2. Do not assume that, within the EU, all is included simply by the status as an EU resident. You will require travel insurance.
3. If at all possible, leave a duplicate of your travel insurance policy with a friend or relative at home, particularly if you will be travelling off the beaten track. That person might be able to fax a copy to the assistance company faster than you can.
4. If you have had a recent surgery or perhaps sickness or suffer from a persistent condition, verify the small print of your policy very carefully. Ask your family doctor for a Fit to fly certification. This may accelerate the documents if you do require treatment abroad.
5. Examine exactly what your insurance plan states regarding hospital treatment overseas. Some policies expect you to pay and claim, ie., to pay for treatment then and there and claim your money back when you get home.
6. In the event that a family member is taken seriously sick or has serious incident abroad, or even if the patient is a child, the majority of insurance companies will probably pay for one family member to remain on or even fly out to be with the patient. They'll generally cover accommodation expenses but not the costs of meals or phone calls while that relative is abroad. You ought to be aware of this.
7. For those who have a free travel insurance that has come with a mastercard, the chances are that it will cover Simply no pre-existing problems. Read the small print carefully.
8. Study all the fine print meticulously if you're taking out an expatriate policy.
9. If you're skiing or taking an adventure holiday, ensure you possess the appropriate cover and don't take on avoidable risks.
10. Got the insurance policy, read it, made a copy? Now place it with your passport, relax and have a great time!
For more information, please contact:
Barrie Le GallBarrie Le Gall
Visit the newsroom of: PR Fire