Description – Physical inactivity is when person does not take up tasks which involve exertion and physical efforts. It generally indicated ones laziness and lack of initiative towards physical activities.
What Is Physical Inactivity
Physical inactivity is when person does not take up tasks which involve exertion and physical efforts. It generally indicated ones laziness and lack of initiative towards physical activities. Physical inactivity is becoming a major health hazard these days.
As much as 30% are physically inactive worldwide. This can not only cause but also severe overweightedness and obesity, not only amount adults but also adolescents and children.
Right after tobacco misuse, physical inactivity takes away the most number of lives today. Opting for a sedentary lifestyle may pave way for numerous chronic diseases and a 28% chance of death. Not only does it destroy your youth but also degenerate bitterly your old-age cognitive abilities.
Physical inactivity is capable to cause a world epidemic. It can reduce an individual’s immunity greatly, leaving them unhappy and bitter. Research reveals that women are more physically inactive than men, especially in the developed nations.
Surprisingly, even youngsters aged 13-15 years of age are also quite inactive. Around 80% of them don’t indulge in 60 minutes of moderately intensive exercise daily, especially the females.
Today, over 3 million people die because of physical inactivity. There is nothing natural with physical inactivity. If we find ourselves indulged into it, it is either out of choice or out of circumstance. The following maybe the causes of physical inactivity:
- Urbanisation:Because of the development of high-class societies and sophisticated surroundings, a narrow concept towards physical activities prevails. People choose not to go by the activity physically but outsource it elsewhere. Instead of walking to the market, they prefer driving there. It becomes a status symbol after a point of time.
- Lack of Playgrounds:With the development of urban jungles, the space meant for parks and gardens gets lessened greatly. People, no matter what age, find it difficult and inconvenient to find places for exercise and sports.
- Violence:In certain cases, extreme cases of bullying and other kinds of violence are seen to have been prevalent outdoors. Children tend to avoid getting out from the early years just because of the fear they developed against it.
- Easy availability of technology:Since public transport has also become quite approachable today, nobody wants to walk or even cycle to work or even to the market. They prefer using a vehicle for it instead.
- Stereotypes:Studying and Playing have been seen to be opposites for a long time. If a child studies, he should not play as often and the one who plays often will not want to study as often. This concept is quite stereotypical and should be looked through. Because of it, a lot of children are not allowed to play as often even though they may be able to manage studies with sports easily.
- Coping mechanism: Even though there are a lot of factors that may cause physical inactivity, we should always look towards the solution to the problem. The following are some coping mechanisms that may help you not only lessen physical inactivity but also get rid of it completely.
- The US department of health recommends the following:
- Adults, including older adults, should go for the following in a week:
- 150 minutes of moderate-intensity exercises(like a brisk walk); or
- 75 minutes of vigorous exercises(like jogging or running); or
- Aroebic activity (like Zumba or aerobics); or
- An equivalent mix of moderate to high-intensity workouts.
- It also recommends targeting and strengthen major muscle groups including the abdomen, arms, hips, legs and shoulders, at least twice a week.
- We at astocare recommend you to add the exercises to your daily routine:
- Try the stairs instead of elevators. One burns around 5-10 calories every minute they climb stairs.
- Walk or bike instead of driving. Burn 50-100 calories per mile walked.
- Indulge in household chores. One can burn up to 700-800 calories in a day doing simple household chores like ironing, washing the dishes, drying the clothes, and other general household jobs.
- Clean your room and/or the garden. In the end, you will have your work done, have lots of calories burnt, and definitely have felt fresh.
- Get off the bus, one stop earlier and walk the rest of the way. This will not only save you the ticket money but also the inactivity.
- Park at the far end of the parking and walk your way through.
- Walk during lunch hours. Not just lunch. Walk whenever you can. One can also walk and talk over the phone!
Exercise and physical activity is quite essential for our bodies to properly work and function. People who engage themselves in moderate to high-intensity workouts have shown to have a lower risk of
- myocardial infarction
- type 2 diabetes
- diverticular disease
- Research supports the recommended guidelines of 30 minutes of physical activity 3 days a week, for everyone, be it kids, teenagers or adults. Furthermore, individuals who enjoy greater levels of leisure time and physical activity, are less likely to gain weight. Conversely, who are overweight are less likely to stay active. However, at least 60 minutes of daily moderate-intensity physical activity may be suggested to maximize weight loss and prevent significant weight regain.
- If one person is not getting the results they desire, he should, then, approach a health provider, so that a regular assessment of the patient’s physical indulgence can be done and recommendations can be furthered to help them. Few medical professionals also provide written prescriptions or perform fitness assessments. Tailored interventions as such, may actually help raise the level of physical activity in the individual.
- Nowadays, broad-based interventions are proving themselves to be the most successful of all other treatments. Interventions that promote physical activity are, now, shown to be more effective, especially when health agencies help promote them and their work via community partners, such as schools, business houses, and health care organizations. Enhanced community awareness through mass media campaigns, school-based workshops, and corporate governance may turn out to be great ‘game changers’ for physical inactivity.
- Looking for a health expert near you? Worry not! AstoCareis here for you! Just login to our portal and book with the best healthcare providers of your city instantly online. For help, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.