Paws For Thought This Easter

It may be a luxurious treat for the human mouth but it can be somewhat different when in the canine stomach. A lot of us cannot understand how something that tastes so good can actually be classed as poison but unfortunately this is true and if you give your dog a large amount of chocolate over the Easter weekend you are in fact being cruel rather than kind.

Chocolate contains theobromine which becomes toxic when a lot of it is consumed by animals. This is mainly because they are unable to metabolise theobromine at a quick enough pace, meaning it lingers in the system for a longer period of time. The drug affects humans similarly to caffeine, but on a much smaller scale.

The type of chocolate can also have a big impact on how high the levels of theobromine are, for example cocoa powder contains around six times more theobromine than plain chocolate and white chocolate hardly contains any.

Unfortunately most dogs do have a sweet tooth and they will attempt to sabotage any Easter eggs left around the house. Make sure you store them away in cupboards or high away from tempted paws.

If you have given in or your dog has helped themselves to your extremely chocolaty egg, look out for the following symptoms:

– nausea and vomiting
– restlessness
– diarrhoea
– muscle tremors
– increased urination or incontinence

If any of the symptoms gets worse, consult your vet immediately to ensure the problem does not lead to anything more serious. It is always wise to make sure you have pet insurance to cover any incidents that cannot be avoided.

There are many alternatives you can give your dog this Easter and a lot of pet suppliers will be selling Carob Easter eggs which are a much healthier and a safer choice for dogs. There are also egg shaped bones coated in special dog friendly chocolate. So, if you really feel like they are missing out, make sure you pick up a dog-safe treat.

Show More