Over 7,000 members of the free online dating website Smooch.com were asked if they had ever been unfaithful to a partner. On average, 35% of respondents said that they had been unfaithful at one point or another. However, only 29% of women have been unfaithful compared to 41% of men, which is more than a third as many men as women.
Some say that with age comes maturity and experience, however in men this translates into sexual maturity and experience rather than emotional and cognitive development. Whilst the amorous male is often pictured as young and virile, the statistics indicate that as men age, the probability of them being unfaithful gradually increases. Those aged 18-24 were 4% below the average at 31%, making this age group the least likely to have cheated on a partner. In contrast, those aged over 60 were nearly 10% above the average with 44% admitting to being unfaithful.
It would be unfair to suggest the overworked clich that men think with their trousers rather than their brain, especially in light of the fact that highly educated men are more likely to cheat. According to the survey, more than half (54%) of those with a Masters degree have been unfaithful compared to 30% of those with no formal qualifications.
Smooch surveys are extremely detailed, incorporating information about its respondents as detailed as height, weight and education, allowing us to compile the ultimate Girl Guide to Mr. Right:
* Tall, dark and handsome? Think again, men over 6 are the most likely to be unfaithful (43%)
* Swap your Prince for a Pauper as men with very high salaries are the most likely to be unfaithful (65%)
* If you like your man with washboard abs and arms the size of your thighs then youre begging for heartache as muscular men are the most likely to be unfaithful (47%)
* Sadly, attractive men are also off limits. Men who considered themselves as quite attractive were the most likely to be unfaithful (41%)
* You should also probably stop looking for guys who are good with children; men with four or more little nippers are most likely to cheat (46%)
* Imagine the scene; your eyes meet over the barnow back away slowly as regular drinkers are the most likely to be unfaithful (49%)
* Never trust a bearded man (including Santa) as 85% of men with full beards admit to being unfaithful.
The only silver lining to this bombshell is the paradox that men are honest about being liars.
Tel: 020 8988 6793
Smooch.com polled 7,152 members over a 12 hour period. Members responses remain anonymous, however, detailed statistics such as age, height, weight, build, attractiveness, hair colour, hair style, facial hair, drinking and smoking habits, education, salary and even star sign are readily available on request.
Established in 2007, Smooch.com is the UKs fastest growing dating website. It has all the features of expensive dating sites but is completely free to join and to contact all members. It has 450,000 active members with around 1500 new members joining every day. Smooch.com was featured in the Times Business supplement and in The Economist in 2009.