Carbon Monoxide Alarms – eight in 10 households in the UK do not have an audible carbon monoxide alarm

Press Release : January 27, 2010
Default Post Image

Research into 1,915 adults has shown 81 per cent do not have an audible alarm to alert them to a leak of the highly poisonous gas which can be emitted by faulty and poorly maintained boilers, cookers and other fuel burning appliances.

The findings of the study are being used as part of the Carbon Monoxide Be Alarmed! campaign headed by TV property guru Kirstie Allsopp.

At least 30 people a year die in the UK as a result of poisoning by the colourless, odourless gas, with many more suffering serious injuries.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon Monoxide is a highly poisonous gas that has no colour, taste or smell. Fuel burning appliances such as stoves, fires, boilers and water heaters can produce Carbon Monoxide if they are incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained or if flues, chimneys or vents are blocked.

Gas, oil and solid fuels such as coal, coke and wood can all produce Carbon Monoxide.

Each year, there are around 30 deaths from Carbon Monoxide poisoning* and many more people suffer health problems due to Carbon Monoxide exposure.

Some 20 million households in the UK dont have their appliances checked regularly enough or have an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm leaving them under-protected and at risk of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

Notes to editors

For more information please contact:
Tel: email: Visit the newsroom of: PR Fire