Baby Sleep: Importance, Peculiarities and Practical Tips
Importance of baby sleep can’t be overstated. It is vitally essential for a little one: he grows and develops while sleeping, as well as gains strength for further discoveries of the world. Sound sleep is a guarantee of a baby’s health and peace of mind of his parents, and moreover, during sleep both his brain and the whole body recover.
Secrets of baby’s healthy and calm sleep
• REM sleep (i.e., rapid eye movement sleep) is predominant in babies, as opposed to adults. So, don’t expect that your baby’s sleep will be long and deep;
• cortisol and melatonin are the key hormones that help people to fall asleep and stay asleep;
• sleep schedule is very important. Keep it from your baby’s birth to make life easier for both you and your little one;
• children, especially the youngest ones, do not like large space around them, so remember that when preparing your bedroom for sleep;
• kids of 1-1.5 year of age actively toss and turn when sleeping, thus interfering with his parents’ sleep. Co-sleeping is possible within the first months of your kid’s life while you breastfeed him, and you can try to move the baby in his own crib afterwards.
How to organize your baby sleep patterns?
You should prioritize: the family will be happy and workable when both you and your husband will sleep 7-8 hours a day. It’s ok if both you and your baby spend 2 hours a day outdoors; that’s alright if your dwelling is not perfectly clean. The most important thing for your baby is rested, and healthy parents who love each other.
Just try to create a specific night sleep schedule for your family. Your sleep time may be from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m., or from 12 p.m. to 8 a.m. – it depends on how you will feel more comfortable.
Prepare your little one for a nighttime sleep in advance:
• do not let your child nap for too long;
• try to keep him awake as long as possible before the time you put him to bed;
• prepare your home environment that encourages development of sleep-wakefulness cycles: bright and lively place during the day, dark and quiet place at night;
• and, of course, spend each day actively. Walk, let your baby sleep outdoors in his baby carriage, play active educational games. And finally, a bath, some massage exercises, and lullaby songs just before the bedtime will soothe your little one and will positively affect his good night’s sleep.
Of course you need to spend some efforts to create all conditions for your little one’s healthy and sound sleep, but it’s worth it.